Research + Development
(*) Automatic Translation
(**) Password required
The first practical conversion of light into electrical energy was in 1954 using a silicon solar cell.
It used the photo-electric effect first observed by Antoine Cesar Becquerel and his son Alexandre
Edmond Becquerel in 1839: the emission of electrons from a surface (usually metallic) upon
exposure to, and absorption of, electromagnetic radiation (such as visible light and ultraviolet
radiation). This effect is the basis for a further conversion of the absorbed energy into electrical
energy within a solar cell. There has been an enormous growth in solar photovoltaic installations
in the last two decades and they will play an important role as one alternative to dwindling
fossil-fuel energy resources.
Aeroplane - Rotating Aeroplane driven by a Solar Modul
A little model airplane with a rotating propeller. The propeller is driven by an electric motor powered by two solar cells mounted on the airplane's wings. The airplane is supported by a counter-balanced rod pivoting on the tip of a vertical metal shaft (very low friction). The airflow produced by the rotating propeller drives the airplane around in a circle.
SolarPumpKit - Water Pump with Solar Module
Photovoltaic driven pumps are an interesting approach to providing water supplies in arid regions with high solar insolation. Our little Pump demonstrates the principles: The photovoltaic cell array drives a little electrical motor that is connected to a centrifugal pump fed with water from a reservoir. Don't expect thousands of litres to be pumped; but study of the system will convince students that it could be scaled up to practical full-size pumping systems. The kit includes a manual, all the parts and glue to assemble the device.
(*) Exchange rates provided 'as is' by coinmill.com - Paypal conversion rates may differ slightly!
SolarTrainer - Photovoltaic Experimental Kit
The available experimental materials allow the carrying out of all basic experiments in the field of photovoltaics. The materials are arranged clearly and optically attractive in a specific yellow suitcase. Everything is always completely at hand, extra material is not necessary. The experiments can be fast built up and removed. An instruction manual with a large variety of experiments and a separat
documentation of the related solutions are included (English language). So this kit is highly suitable for classroom experiments in schools:
The pupils are able to carry out the experiments by themselves with help of of the easily understandable experimentation instruction.
The teacher gets further informations to solve the exercises and to understand the physics.
List of experiments
- Measuring of the irradiance of different light sources
- Solar cell as a energy converter
- Solar cell as a energy converter and diode function
- Open circuit voltage of a solar cell at different shadowing conditions
- Short circuit current of a solar cell at different shadowing conditions
- Open circuit voltage and short circuit current of a solar cell at different irradiance
- Short circuit current of a solar cell depending from angle of incidence of the light
- Series connection of solar cells / different shadowing condition
- Parallel connection of solar cells / different shadowing conditions
- Characteristic curve of a solar cell (I/U) / different irradiance
- Characteristic curve of a solar cell (U/P), MPP, figur out of the efficiency
- Simulation: Short circuit current of a solar cell depending from position of the sun (sunrise to sunset)
- Charging a GoldCap / accumulator with solar cells
- Discharging a GoldCap / accumulator with electric motor and light bulb
Set of equipment supplied:
- Specific yellow suitcase with shaped part made of foam plastic
- Basic board with place to put the experimental boxes und multimeters
- Low voltage (12 V ) halogen lamp
- Power supply with dimmer switch, power cable (mains fed, input 230 V AC 50 Hz, output 12 V AC)
- Solar module with 4 single cells and angle adjustement
- 2 multimeters with 2 mm connectors
- Sensor box for measuring irradiance
- Load box with electric motor and light bulb
- Storage box with NC accumulator and GoldCap and blocking diode
- Measuring box with variable resistor
- Connecting cords, high flexible, contacts brass / hard copper gold plated
- Experimental instruction and exercises / documentation for teacher